Sporting equipment, such as fishing rods, balls, baseball bats and gloves, and hockey sticks.
Lawn and garden tools, such as lawn mower handles, rakes, and gardening gloves.
Clothing, shoes, gloves, pants, and footwear that have brushed against the plants.
Animal fur. Unlike people, animals do not get a rash when exposed to poison ivy. But they can easily carry the oil on their fur, where it may be spread to people who touch the animals.
Exposure to smoke. Urushiol from burning poison ivy, oak, or sumac attaches to smoke particles and can cause a rash on any part of the body.
Clothing and any other item that may have urushiol on it should be washed thoroughly. Pets who have been in areas containing poison ivy, oak, or sumac should be washed with pet shampoo to remove any oil from their fur.
ByHealthwise Staff Primary Medical ReviewerWilliam H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine Martin J. Gabica, MD - Family Medicine Specialist Medical ReviewerH. Michael O'Connor, MD, MMEd, FRCPC - Emergency Medicine
This information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise, Incorporated disclaims any warranty or liability for your use of this information. Your use of this information means that you agree to the and . Learn how we develop our content.