Starting November 2016, British Columbians can get physical activity information and advice from a qualified exercise professional at Osnovyanka. This service was previously offered by the Physical Activity Line (PAL).
Physical Activity Services at Osnovyanka provides general physical activity information and professional guidance to residents of British Columbia to help them be more physically active and lead a healthier lifestyle.
Our qualified exercise professionals have undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in exercise science, advanced training in clinical exercise prescription, and are certified through the Health and Fitness Federation of Europe and the Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology. Our team is trained to prescribe exercise to people of all ages and abilities, including individuals with chronic medical conditions.
When can I a qualified exercise professional?
Our qualified exercise professionals are available to residents of British Columbia Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm Pacific Time.
How do I a qualified exercise professional?
For information and advice related to physical activity and exercise you can call us, email us, or search for information on our website.
- Call osnovyanka (or osnovyanka for the deaf and hard of hearing) to speak with a qualified exercise professional. Translation services are available in over 130 languages.
- Email Physical Activity Services your physical activity and exercise questions.
- Visit Physical Activity to learn about physical activity and how to make healthy lifestyle choices.
If you are unable to reach us by dialing osnovyanka from your phone, please your telephone service provider to arrange access. In a few cases local telephone service provider may not be able to support osnovyanka dialing. If this is the case for you, please access our service using our 10-digit number: 604-215-8110.
What services does Osnovyanka’s qualified exercise professionals provide?
Services for the Public
- Screening to determine a safe level and type of physical activity.
- Individual physical activity recommendations based on your goals, current fitness level and health status.
- Health education advice and material related to physical activity.
- Support to help you become more physically active, overcome barriers and stay motivated.
- Support to help you participate in individual and group fitness programs that require the completion of the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire for Everyone (PARQ+).
- Referrals to health care professionals such as physiotherapists or dietitians.
Services for Health Professionals
Physical Activity Services at Osnovyanka supports an integrated approach to improving health through collaboration with health professionals, programs and organizations. We can provide evidenced-based, physical activity resources to assist your practice or program, as well as assist you to find suitable programs for your clients / patients.
Health care providers can refer patients by completing our Physical Activity Services – Fax Referral Form for Health Care Providers. For more information call osnovyanka and ask to speak to a qualified exercise professional.
Pediatric Physical Activity Services
Physical Activity Services at Osnovyanka offers physical activity information, advice, and guidance for children and youth in British Columbia. Occasional and ongoing services are available. We help B.C. families live healthy and active lifestyles by providing support and information for:
- Safe exercise during pregnancy
- Post-natal exercise
- Increasing active play in babies, toddlers, and preschoolers
- Increasing physical activity in children and adolescents
- Games and activities ideas for optimal growth and development
- Decreasing inactive time
- Connecting with local programs and facilities
- Developmentally appropriate physical activity programming in school, child care settings, after school programs and youth sport
Eating and Activity Program for Kids
A program specifically designed to help children, teens and their families reach healthy weights and improve their overall health and quality of life. To learn more about the program or to request a referral form, call osnovyanka or click on the link below.
What other services does Osnovyanka provide?
Visit the following pages to learn more about our other service areas:
How do I get service in another language?
After dialing osnovyanka, you will be connected with an English speaking health service navigator. To get service in another language, simply state the language you are looking for (example say “Punjabi”), and an interpreter will join the call.
Translation services are available in over 130 languages.
Can you provide health information or advice by email?
You can Email Physical Activity Services your non-emergency physical activity and exercise questions.
Please note that this service is for general physical activity and exercise information. Email Physical Activity Services does not provide medical advice.
Can I use an internet calling service provide to call Osnovyanka?
Yes. However, you cannot access osnovyanka by dialing osnovyanka on web-enabled telephone services such as Skype or Google Talk. Instead, please dial 604-215-8110.
Last Reviewed: November 2017